||Haine St.-Pierre 416
Marie is no longer operational
The Stoomcentrum had a narrow gauge track in 1986 already, before undertaking the exploitation of a standard gauge track in 1989. So Marie was the very first locomotive of the Stoomcentrum. This machine 0-4-0 was built in 1911 in the well-known factory Orenstein & Koppel. Construction number: 4854.
Such machines were frequently used during road works. This locomotive was intensively used for group arrangements, so that it shows signs of aging now. Although the narrow gauge is only 1.5 km long, Marie has covered a respectable number of kilometres per year. We made two limited repairs during the winter seasons 1997-1998 and 1998-1999, but in 2000 the locomotive was forced to give up. But … on May 11, 2003 we started restoring it completely! A new future for little Marie?
No 3297 Las not operational, restoration temporarily stopped
The SCM (Stoomcentrum Maldegem) owns a second locomotive for narrow gauge. After restoration it will replace Marie in case of problems. The Nr. 3297 is a Polish locomotive, built in 1954 by Chrzanow .
The locomotives 0-6-0 of this type are also called Las. We
have a serious delay with the restoration work.
St.-Pierre (of Couillet) from 1891 not
operational, waiting for restoration
Mahy (Musée de l’Automobile in Leuze), owned a locomotive 60cm from 1891 (!), stationed in Landegem. Thanks to the intervention of Jason Van Landschoot (president of the Stoomcentrum) the museum has donated this locomotive to the Stoomcentrum at the end of March 2003, under the condition that it was revised in the long term and that the name of the donateur was mentioned. Without this intervention, the locomotive would surely have been scrapped.
|Arrived on a truck
||...put on the narrow gauge.
We had no information whatsoever about the manufacturer and the owners, but we have rapidly solved this mystery.
A reliable person let us know that this locomotive is the
Haine St.-Pierre Nr. 416. Another source thinks it is a Couillet, a
sister company of the consortium Haine St.-Pierre, or maybe an
autonomous enterprise. This locomotive of 3 tons has first served
at the company Brunard in Fleurus,
then at Anciens Etablissements Fred de Boek in Vilvoorde and finally at
Briquetteries Réunies de Rupel et Nèthe in Rumst (until
1942). We have
also some licence numbers and a reference to the Antwerp region where
locomotive has been active. On the locomotive you can see the
This locomotive needs a serious restoration, but we saw –
during our first inspection – that the steamer is in good condition.
By the way ...
This locomotive is 1
older (1890) and it was also built by Couillet. It has the number 1002
and it is named ARTOLA.
looks very much like our locomotive for narrow gauge 60cm, but it is
Click on this photo to see the driving gear.
Click on this photo to go to the photo album -->
The Stoomcentrum accepts with gratitude any relevant photo. You can mail any useful information to: firstname.lastname@example.org